A Letter to My Dog Milo

Dear Milo,
I still remember the day you arrived.  We had to drive a long way to pick you up and when we saw the litter of puppies, we knew that you were the one.  You were quiet, yet observant and I loved your black face.  The first thing you did when you got home, was pee on the floor when you saw your reflection in the mirror. Oh how I loved having you around.

It’s crazy to have thought how much you really loved me.  I don’t think I have ever had someone love me as much as you did.  And I wish you had known how much I loved you; how much you meant to me; how much I bragged to everyone about how awesome you were! I always told everyone about the little trick I taught you (giving me your hand everytime I said 'mano' - meaning hand in Spanish).  You were the perfect bilingual dog who understood English and Spanish.  I was so proud of you Milo!

As much as I was proud of you, there were also things you did that drove me crazy! For example, I really hated that you ate your poop and got the nickname from a puppy as 'come caca' (or eater of poop in Spanish).  When I said NO, you should really have listened to me and gone away.  The telephone cords, socks and my clothes were not play toys.  And the thunder was never going to do anything to you, so I really wish you hadn't been such a big baby about it.  
 
Milo, I really don’t care about all of that stuff now.  What was always important to me were the cuddles and licks you always gave me; licking away my tears when life just become too much at times.  Thank you for always having greeted me at the door, making me feel like the most important person in the world.  Thank you for always having been that big, loyal and docile giant that you were; that never left my side especially when I was in the kitchen, secretly hoping something would fall on the ground for you to slurp up.

I wish I had the chance to have told you that no matter how many shoes you chewed up, or how much poop you ate, I will always love you.  Although, today I have four other furry friends, that I am sure you would have loved to play with, you will always be my favorite giant. I wish I had the chance to have told you that the thunder is not going to get to you and today I would have hugged you to make it all have gone away.  Finally, the blackbirds you hated so much that perched themselves on the porch, are still there waiting for you or someone to pick on.

Thank for being my best friend. I have never met someone else that would give their life for me. I have never met anyone who cares for someone as much as you cared for me. You meant the world to me, and I never thanked you enough for all that you did. I was lucky to have had your unconditional love, trust and loyalty. I loved you so much, Milo.  Rest in peace my Milo.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog... 

Comments